Recent Places

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Bear encounter

DSC03101I had a bear encounter today on the Battle Ridge trail, about 20 miles north of Bozeman, MT, today. I had hiked out along the trail for two hours, and was about an hour into my return journey when I turned a corner and saw a tawny-colored black bear (no hump on its shoulders like a grizzly) fifty yards ahead of me, loping across the very trail I needed to continue on to get back to my car, and disappearing down into the valley.

I’ve read the safety sheets so was reasonably prepared, but in the instant the fight-or-flight response sent my heart racing! I stopped, slowly took two steps back, putting the bend and hillside between us, and then continued to walk back a few paces. Meanwhile, I was clapping and repeatedly saying “Hey, bear!” in as friendly of a tone as I could muster. I stood there on guard for five minutes, clapping and shouting, making sure the bear knew I was there and wasn’t leaving.

In all, I only saw him for two seconds, but I must admit, it was a terrifying couple of minutes. He crossed the trail I needed to continue on to get back to my car, there was no safe place to go or hide, and forty minutes away by walk from my car. I do make noise on an ongoing basis on the trail (clapping and shouting) when I’m by myself so that I don’t spook a bear, but I managed to spook one today anyway!

I now own a can of bear spray. I didn’t buy one earlier because I thought, how likely is a bear encounter anyway? Yeah. This likely.

Anyway. I’m in Bozeman, Montana. I like it here, so I’m staying for a bit. Great cute and vibrant downtown, surrounded by mountains, a very outdoorsey and eco-aware culture. I’ve actually checked into a campground so that I can have hot showers every day. A revolution!

Tuesday I scoured the city for things to do. Community bulletin boards in the local food coop, the library, the REI, coffee shops. Picked up local papers and found their events calendars. That evening I went to a yoga class at Breathe Light and had dinner at the Bogert Farmers’ Market then a drink at Lockhorn Cider House (a pub dedicated to cider!).

WP_20140604_002Wednesday I went to the Museum of the Rockies (loved the amazing dinosaur collection! The planetarium was well worth a stop too.) and then a short hike up the College M trail (there’s a huge M on the side of the mountain for the university here). I took the steep way, and regretted it. In the evening I went to Mountain Yoga and had dinner at Rice, a Thai restaurant. I’ve had lunch at the coop every day, which is an amazing place with excellent food.

DSC03081 - DSC03085 (5000x1050)

Today I went on that hike with the bear. Pretty nice scenery despite the momentary terror!

DSC03096 - DSC03099 (5000x1063)

Edit: Are these fossils? I found them alongside the trail.

DSC03087

No comments :

Post a Comment