Recent Places

Friday, April 11, 2014

One Last Hurrah

For a final sightseeing adventure while I'm on the Australian continent, I went into the red centre and visited Uluru two weeks ago. Pretty awesome sights - though despite the warnings I was not prepared for the flies crawling into every orifice of my body. If you go there, buy the fly net for your face. I would have paid a hundred dollars there at the end they were so bloody maddening. The tropical strength fly and mosquito repellent did nothing, not even a little, to keep them away.

Anyway - I did not climb Uluru - it is very discouraged these days. Apparently there are 12 people on the board, and 11 have voted to shut it down. The twelfth is the Minister of Tourism for Central Australia, who fears people will stop coming if they ban it.

My tour was run by The Rock Tour, and they ran a tight ship, keeping us on time. Camping under the stars in a swag was fantastic, slept like a baby.

P.S. The real reason for this post is that I've been building out a few map features on this blog's desktop view, and I need a second post tagged with a location and sporting a thumbnail.

2 comments :

  1. You should expand the post google map image to fill the div space instead of being 200x200. It looks so small and hopeless in the corner :)

    ReplyDelete