Recent Places

Friday, May 23, 2014

Minneapolis

WP_20140522_013After the drive up along the Mississippi River Wednesday, I met up with my cousin Kim and her fiancée John at her apartment on Grand in St Paul. My immediate reaction in a 15 minute walk up and down that street: people are friendly there! Strangers on the sidewalk kept making eye contact and smiling and even saying hello sometimes. What a great and welcoming feeling that gives! Is that "Minnesota Nice?"

WP_20140521_021We met up with my Uncle Dave and had dinner across the way at Brassa. I remember this place (albeit a different location) from my days working in Minneapolis in 2009-2010, one of the few places other than the office and the hotel bar I ever saw! Kim, John and I stayed out for a bonus drink at Wild Onion. There was a disco ball.

Thursday I went to Uptown for a wander, had lunch at Amazing Thailand (crushed their all-you-can-eat buffet), then to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts for see their collection. I particularly enjoyed a Finnish design exhibit. Then I met up with my Aunt Karin at her office (got to see a 3D printer in action!) a restaurant that used to be her former office, The Free House, and then for a walk around Lake Harriet.

Friday morning Kim and I had a Cuban breakfast at Victor's 1959 Café, and then I hit the road to settle in to a nine hour drive to the Badlands, South Dakota.

No comments :

Post a Comment